Man accused of firing shots at high school football game at Ladd Stadium arrested


UPDATE (5:44 PM) – Mobile Police Chief Paul Prine says Belfon was arrested Thursday morning during a traffic stop in St. Augustine, Florida. He was a passenger in a car that was stopped for speeding.

Police haven’t had a lead in months, his last known location was in Troy, Ala.

“We have worked diligently on this, but it also shows you that there is no such thing as a routine traffic check. I say this because we do quite a bit of road safety checks, and these things are important not only from the point of for compliance or even deterrence, but certainly to seek out those who evade the law,” Chief Prine said.

Five people were injured, two adults and three teenagers. We spoke with Gwendolyn Crawford, whose son, Jakobe Morgan, was injured in the shooting. She said “Hallelujah!” questioned about Belfon’s arrest. She said she and her son were both relieved that he was in custody.

“It’s a huge win for the police department, it’s definitely a huge win for the community. He was a threat to the community, and although we didn’t catch him here in Mobile. If he was a threat here, he was definitely a threat to the community where he was,” Chief Prine said.

Belfon faces five attempted murder charges in Mobile, and Chief Prine said more charges may be forthcoming. Chief Prine said Belfon would be extradited to Mobile within the next few weeks.

UPDATE: Mobile Police Chief Paul Prine is expected to provide an update on the case at a 3pm news conference.

MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) – The man accused of shooting at a high school football game on October 15 last year has been arrested.

According to Police Mobile, Hezekiah Belfon was arrested Thursday, March 31, 2022, in St. Augustine, Florida. According to mobile police, he was found during a traffic check.

Hezekiah Belfon, 20 (Source: St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office)

Mobile police said he fired a gun at a crowd of people in the stadium. Five people were injured. The victims include two adults and three minors, aged between 15 and 17.

Belfon turned 20 in January. He was 19 at the time of the crime. Mobile police also arrested 19-year-old Jai Scott and a 17-year-old youth in connection with the violence at the football match last year.

The shooting happened during the Vigor-Williamson game. Mobile police said thousands were in attendance to celebrate Vigor’s return.

Police have been searching for Belfon since October 18.

Several shots were fired during the fourth quarter of the high school football game. Mobile police said in court that the shooting was gang-related.

Police also revealed in court that cameras at Ladd showed the three suspects were seen leaving the stadium after the third quarter and sitting in Scott’s car to smoke. Police told a court hearing that Belfon and the minor both pulled their weapons from the car and brought them inside the stadium after the metal detectors were taken down.

After that shooting, the Mobile County Public School System announced it was cutting ties with Ladd-Peebles Stadium and would no longer hold events at the stadium.


About Author

Comments are closed.