Township of Sugarloaf. Pedestrian accident in a football game


Police say it happened around 7:00 p.m. at Joe LaRock Recreation Ground in Sugarloaf Township

SUGARLOAF TOWNSHIP, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) – A woman was arrested on Saturday after police said she hit a person with her SUV as she drove onto a soccer field during a fight at a youth soccer match in the Sugarloaf Township.

Rachelle Rae Zeller, 37, of Wilkes-Barre, is facing aggravated assault and related charges after assaulting one person and hitting another with her vehicle, police say.

According to court documents, police responded to a report of a fight involving up to 100 people at the Joe LaRock Recreation Ground on Kellers Road in Sugarloaf Township just after 7:00 p.m. Saturday.

During their interrogations, police said witnesses accused Zeller of punching a victim in the face and “stomping on her head.” Witnesses told police she then got into her black Mercedes SUV, drove into the field and intentionally hit a second victim before leaving the scene. Police said there was an underage passenger inside the vehicle during the incident.

A witness gave the police the license plate number of the vehicle and the police issued a BOLO (be on the lookout) for the surrounding areas. The plate number reverted to an address in the 200 block of Mayock Street in Wilkes-Barre, according to court documents.

At around 8:30 p.m., police say they located the vehicle at the Mayock Street home. They say Zeller was standing outside the house and had dried blood on his pants and right hand. She was then taken into custody by the police.

The criminal complaint says police noticed dried mud on the tires and “what appeared to be a new scuff” on the front of the vehicle.

According to police, Zeller declined to answer questions about the incident. She now faces charges of aggravated and simple assault, reckless endangerment of another person, disorderly conduct and harassment.

A representative from the Valley Chiefs Youth Football Organization posted a statement on their Facebook page on Saturday evening:

“For the attention of family, friends and fans of the Valley Chiefs. As a board of directors, we wanted to remedy the situation that occurred tonight at Joe Larock Field. As many know, State Troopers and emergency personnel were called to the field tonight due to a fight that broke out during the A Team All Star Game. The conference asked us to host the game, but Valley currently doesn’t have an A team, which means no Valley players or relatives were involved in the situation that unfolded. The council is cooperating with the authorities in every way possible and everyone involved will be brought to justice for their disrespectful actions and extravagant behavior. For now, that’s the only comment we’ll make on what happened tonight on the pitch. We just wanted to let you all know so you can rest assured that no one from Valley Chiefs was hurt or involved.


About Author

Comments are closed.